DEWALT DW618B3 with an Additional Exceptional D-Handle Base
The highly sophisticated DEWALT DW618B3 router comes in handy with all the features of the best selling DW618PK router. It comes with an additional D-handle, a clearsub base, 3 bases, and 1/4″ and 1/2″ collets. The model offers more safety when compared to others that have been fitted with two knob handles. The D-handle is also easier to hold and since the handle is fitted with the power switch they are easy to operate.
DEWALT DW618B3 is combo router kit that has proved to be exceptional in terms of its functionality. This router has a unique D-handle base, which makes it easy to have great contact with the surface that needs to be worked on. This is one of the elements that have made it become popular. The router has both the fixed and plunge bases, which allow it to handle a whole range of routing tasks. This is the true definition of one of the best wood router kits, with versatile features.
What makes DEWALT DW618B3 high quality?
- Superior Power: It comes with a 12 Amp 2-1/4 Horsepower motor that delivers sufficient power to handle even the toughest applications.
- Variable Speed: It is a variable speed router that generates a speed range of between 8000 to 24000 rotations per minute to suit the various materials and cutters used during the routing process.
- 3 Bases: It is highly versatile since it has easy-to-switch plunge, fixed and D-handle bases. Each of the base handles has a simple locking lever that holds the motor in firm position.
- Depth Adjustment: The fixed and D-handle base has a Depth Adjustment Ring and the Plunge base has a Depth Adjustment Rod. These make it easy to make fine adjustments.
- Clear LEXAN sub-base: This ensures maximum bit visibility, enhanced base durability and is compatible with standard template guide bushings.
What makes it easy to use?
- It is easy to switch between the three bases and each has a simple locking lever for holding the motor firmly in position.
- It has an easy to reach plunge lever and switch that ensure superior control of the tool when routing.
- Comes with a 5-position adjustable turret stop that helps when handling step or repeated plunge cuts.
- It has an auto-release collet for better bit retention and prevention of frozen bits.
- The Cordset location and the right and left switch ensure easy control and operation.
- It has rubber over-molded handles and low center of gravity that ensure top notch comfort, stability and easy control.
Some other key features:
- Dust-sealed switch blocks dust and other particles and guarantees a longer switch life.
- Flat top that makes it easy to change bits and adjust depth.
- Aluminium base and motor housing for durability.
- It comes with a spindle lock button for single-wrench changes.
- Has a detachable cord set for cord set serviceability.
- Has a tool-free steel motor cam lock that makes it easy when switching the motor between bases.
The Pros and Cons
- 3 bases (D-handle, Fixed, and Plunge base) for maximum versatility.
- Powerful motor that can handle even the toughest applications.
- Micro fine depth adjustment for precise and accurate cuts.
- The variable speed that varies from 8000 to 24000 makes it possible for the user to handle various applications.
- Dust collection system collects up to 95% of the dust and enhances bit visibility.
- Compatible with ¼ and ½ inch collets hence giving the user more options in terms of cuts.
- Gradual start up minimises torque for accurate routing.
- Three bases are a bit complex for beginners to operate.
- Challenging to use wrenches for bit removal.
- The coils and bushing are visible during the routing process and this may be distracting to the user.
- Bushing and coils are visible when routing and they may distract the user.
- Difficult to hold the spindle in place when loosening the collet.
- Height adjustment is quite daunting with this router.
How to Use It?
When you master how to use this router, you will be extremely happy as it provides versatile functions. There are three bases on this router, which makes it possible to handle different routing applications. In addition to this, the router has half and quarter inch collets which mean that all your routing problems are solved. It is advisable to go through the instructional manual and pay keen attention to the safety instructions before attempting to use the router.
Maintenance and Minor Repairs
The lifespan on the router highly depends on how well it is handled and maintained. You should always ensure that all the parts are returned to their respective compartments in the case for storage. Always clean out the dust collection system and lubricate the moving parts. The bits should be sharp and smooth so as to ensure that the cuts are not defective. You may do some minor repairs using the manual for troubleshooting. However, if you are not sure, you should take it to the service centre for repairs.