DEWALT DW618PK Stands Tall Among Other Wood Routers
The highly powerful and versatile DEWALT DW618PK fixed and plunge router kit is designed with sophisticated features that favor both the professional and amateur craftsman. It is fitted with an easy-to-use switch that offers soft, variable speed. For the fixed base, the height adjustment ring makes it superbly easy to adjust the bit height especially if you are using a router table. Furthermore, a spacious, protective hard case is provided for a variety of router accessories.Check Price On Amazon
DeWalt DW618PK Review
The DeWalt DW618PK is a combo router kit with a 2-1/4 HP motor. The router has an EVS fixed base as well as a plunge. The motor is 12 Amps, and provides the router with a soft start that significantly reduces the torque when starting up. The motor is also responsible for the variable speeds of between 8,000 and 24,000 RPM under load. This is said to be one of the elements that make the router to be efficient and durable. The tool has features that will support constant speed and also provide full electric feedback control, this allows the machine to rout is a smooth manner even on the extremely hard applications. The design of the router is simply amazing and it has a Lexan sub-base with a cam motor housing. There are ¼ and ½ inch collets, which makes the tool quite versatile for woodworkers of all calibres. The dust control features prevent any dust build up within the machine.
- The router comes with both the plunge and fixed bases, which support different types of cuts.
- It runs on a 12 Amp motor with power output level or horsepower of 2-1/4 HP
- It has the ability to spin at variable speeds that range from 8,000 to 24,000 rotations per minute.
- There are ¼-inch and ½-inch collets which support versatile bit retention.
- The depth adjustment ring is precise and has increments of 1/64-inch that go in the vertical direction. This will ensure that the cuts are accurate.
- The router has and adjustable cam lock for the motor that is tool-free. This makes the process of depth adjustment and change of bits quick and easy.
- There is a dust collection system, which will control the amount of dust that builds up. This always ensures that there is clear visibility during all operations of the machine.
- The DeWalt DW618PK has a clear sub-base that is made from Lexan, which is durable.
- The soft-start feature will provide longevity for this router and reduces the start-up torque.
Specifications and Performance
DeWalt DW618PK weighs 22.4 pounds, which is an ideal weight for a combo router kit. The router has dimensions of 15.9 by 24 by 9.1 inches, which makes it qualify as a medium –sized router. The main colour for this router is silver, with some parts that are in yellow.
The 12 Amp motor helps the router to have a soft start and the 2-1/4 horsepower provides the router with variable speeds. This feature maintains constant speeds during routing and provides full feedback, which makes it possible to rout through hardwoods. The integral dust collection system will eliminate up to 95% of dust, which protect the system from malfunctioning. There is a firm grip, which is provided by the side handles in the shape of knobs. This also enhances control during routing operations.Check Price On Amazon
Benefits Of Dewalt DW618Pk Router
- The DeWalt DW618PK router is quite versatile as a result of the 2-in-1 12 Amp motor with 2-1/4 HP as the horsepower.
- There are variable speeds, which range between 8,000 and 24,000 rotations per minute.
- There is a soft-start feature, which is orchestrated by the powerful motor. This will help in reduction of the start-up torque and helps in enhancing the durability of the tool.
- The side handles make it comfortable to use, providing stability and optimum control of the router. This will ensure that the results are accurate.
- The process of changing the bits is quite easy and fast.
- The two-in-one motor is quite powerful and this makes it the most essential benefit of the router. The motor has a horsepower of 2-1/4 HP and 12 Amp. This is responsible for the variable speeds and the soft start.
- The router is backed up by a three-year warranty.
- The cam motor lock housing provides support for the motor and this prevents it from shifting during the routing process.
- The sub-base is clear and made from lexan, which will enhance visibility when cuts are being made.
- The dust collection system, serves as a protective feature as it prevents any dust build-up around the sensitive parts of the router.
- Powerful 12 Amp motor, which makes it possible to rout on any type of wood.
- There is a sealed toggle switch which is conveniently placed.
- The ergonomic design of the handles provides a comfortable grip, which will prevent any arm fatigue.
- The sub-base is clear and made from lexan. This makes it durable and also promotes clear visibility during routing
- Quite versatile as a result of having the ½-inch and ¼-inch collets which support different shank bits.
- It comes with an adjustable clamp design
- There is a variable speed dial that allows users to set speeds that are ideal for varied applications.
- The spindle lock makes it possible for the bits to be changed, with a single wrench.
- It has a detachable power cord, which makes it easy to store it and move with it.
- There is a modern dust control feature.
- The source of power is a cord, which may limit movement when working on your wood piece
- There is no edge guide included in the package. This has to be bought separately.
- The centring tool is not part of the components that come with the tool and has to be bought independently.
- There is a high possibility of the adjustment ring falling off, if it is not locked in properly.
- The instruction manual is written in the map style and this is somewhat complicated for most users.
- There is a challenge reaching the collet nut, but it is not impossible.
- The lock lever on the plunge base often becomes loose when in use due to vibration.
How to Use DeWalt DW618PK Router Kit
Before using the DeWalt DW618PK Router, you should go through the safety instructions, and observe all the manufacturer’s recommendations. You need to identify the type of routing job that you want to do so as to attach the relevant base. Pick the right shank bit as the router has ½ and ¼ inch collets. You should adjust the depth using the ring, which is adjustable to 1/64 of an inch. Ensure that the motor is properly secured so as to prevent and dangerous movements. There is a variable speed dial that you should use to define the speeds that you want the router to spin at. Always wear protective clothing when you are using.
Maintenance and Minor Repairs
The router has a dust collecting system that should be emptied as often as possible so as to avoid overflow of the debris. You should detach all the components before storing the tool back into its case. Wax and lubricate all the moving parts so as to enhance efficiency. In terms of the repairs, it would be best to consult the customer service or take it to the service centre, where you can even use your warranty.Check Price On Amazon
Based on all the features above, we can confidently conclude that DeWalt DW618PK is a router that is quite versatile. The design is quite appealing and this makes it stand out from close competitors. If the manufacturer would improve on various issues like the style of the manual, this would make it even better. This is an ideal tool for those who do woodwork as a weekend hobby as well as those who consider it to be a full time professional job. The router is neither too small nor too big, which makes it just the right size.